Skip to main content

7 tips to pass your driving test


I have just passed my driving test on my first try and I would like to share with you tips to pass your practical test.


1) Pick a good test slot

When you are choosing your test slot. Do note that there are certain days and times where there are a lot of cars on the roads. You should avoid taking your test on weekends as from my experiences, there are usually more cars on the road. Peak hours are also another no go even on weekdays. While some like it as you can go much slower, there are too many variables on the road. At any point in time, a motorcycle could be at your side without you knowing.

If you are unsure of the best timing to take your test, you can ask your instructor. In fact, I initially wanted to take my lessons around 10am however I was advised by my driving instructor to take the 11.45am slot. He told me that during this period there are lesser people doing circuits and also lesser cars on the road. (I did my test at BBDC where there aren't much lunchtime crowds as I thought there would be)


2) Ensure you do a warm-up before your test

I do not know how to further emphasize this point. You must do a warm-up with your instructor just before you have your test. I had my test slot at 11.45am and did a warm-up with my instructor from around 10am to 11am. During your warm-up, it is good to be familiar with your road condition for your test. You can also ask your instructor any final questions you have before you meet your tester. Take this time to also adjust your seats and mirror to suit your preferences.

During your warm-up, you can also see mistakes made by others and avoid doing it. (When I was doing my warm-up in the circuit, I saw 2 testees failed in front of me. One of them mounted the curb right when he was driving out of the perpendicular parking while the other turned into the crank course that was meant for exiting)


3) Wear long pants

I do not know if this is a trend. However, base on the trend I see from my friends, those that wore short pants tend to fail on their first try. While this theory cannot be proven, I would say it is safer to wear long pants for your test. Anyways you should respect your tester and be a little be formal.



4) Be early

You should be the one waiting for your tester and not the other way around. Be early for your test so that you do not give a bad impression.


5) Greet your tester

When you first meet your tester. Greet them. If you are bold enough, you can engage in short conversations with them (You should primarily focus on driving).

Fun fact, do you know that some of your testers used to teach driving in the army. (according to my driving instructor) As such my instructor told me to reply with a 'yes sir' whenever I was given a direction. I do not know the effectiveness of this but I manage to pass on my first try! 



6) Be more obvious with your safety check

Do not afraid of being judge by your tester. Just do it so that your tester will be aware that you have done your safety checks.


7) Take note on some immediate failure point 

  • Do not go against the flow of traffic. Before you do any turning in the circuit, look at where the stop line is. The Stop line is for oncoming traffic So do not turn into that lane
  • Do not rush. If you have hit a curb, reverse and do your correction. While you will get 10 point deduction, it is better than mounting the curb.
  • If you are on the outer lane preparing to turn, make sure you turn to the outer lane. 
  • Look at the road markings on the road and signs. Sometimes, the particular lane only permits you to turn instead of going straight. So if you want to go straight, make sure you change your lane.



Some useful resources you can use to pass your theory and practical with flying colors.

Theory

  • Sgdriving (BTT & FTT Quiz)
  • Head over to TP website for the PDF version of BTT and FTT book so you do not have to waste money buying it

Practical


Comments